We are delighted to welcome back the Seward Music and Arts Festival! A favorite celebration of music, creativity, and community returns October 5th-7th. Great tunes, tasty local food, family activities, and artisan craft vendors all come together for the perfect showcase of this seaside town’s deep love of the arts.
This festival is known for an eclectic lineup that has entertainers from a wide variety of genres. There is sure to be something to get everyone dancing, no matter your taste!
SMAF begins the evening of Friday, October 5th at 5pm with a dedication to Rockwell Kent, the artist who inspired the “Wilderness” theme of this year’s festival. Following that, the show begins!
Over the full weekend more than 20 music and performance artists will take the stage. Prepare yourself for some mesmerizing dance moves, enchanting costumes, and immersive art. Get your dancing shoes ready for swingin’ jazz and foot-stompin’ folk. Sweet bluegrass tunes will be mixed in with psychedelic jams, funk, and alternative rock. We are not kidding when we say there is something for everyone – you might even discover a new favorite!
Music will go on late into the evening on Friday and Saturday night with the final artists starting their sets after 11pm. On Sunday the final act goes on at 4, closing out the festival. For a detailed list of artists and set times, check out the SMAF website here.
More than Great Music
Wondering what to do in between sets? SMAF offers a great variety of activities for the whole family:
- Treat your taste buds to some festival fare including decadent smoked fish spreads, fresh baked goods, mouthwatering spinach bread, and gourmet crepes – just a few of the many delectable options!
- After sampling a tasty treat, enjoy a cold brew or glass of wine in the beer garden
- Check out handmade pottery, jewelry, skincare, fine art, tie dye, and more as you browse the wares of Alaskan artists and artisan craft vendors
- Get a henna (temporary!) tattoo from the henna artist booth
- Visit the Kid’s Area for a fun open play place where the kids can get in the creative spirit. On Saturday the space will be hosted by the Boys & Girls Club with art supplies and additional activities!
SMAF Train – Arrive in Style
The Alaska Railroad is currently offering a can’t-miss package for round-trip travel to SMAF. Departing from Anchorage in the morning, you’ll arrive in Seward just in time for the beginning of the festivities on Saturday. After a full weekend, you’ll head back to Anchorage late Sunday afternoon.
Not only will you get treated to the gorgeous fall views of the Kenai Peninsula, you’ll have on board entertainment on both legs of your journey. With her breathtaking vocals, Emma Hill will get you feeling inspired to have a weekend filled with amazing performances. On the way back up to Anchorage, Syran will end your Sunday with a unique blend of folk/rock paired with heartfelt lyrics.
The ticket price of $125 includes your round-trip fare, live music on the train, and entry to the festival on Saturday and Sunday. Besides that, you’ll benefit from free shuttle service around Seward for the weekend along with free Alaska Railroad depot parking.
This is an opportunity you don’t want to pass up! Book your train tickets here.
Maximize Your Visit!
Seward is one of the greatest playgrounds Alaska has to offer – you’ll want to take full advantage of this incredible place while you’re here for the weekend. If you need a little change of pace from festival festivities, we’ve got plenty of ideas for you:
- First things first – energize your morning with an expertly poured cup of coffee from Resurrect Art Coffee House or Frontier Trading Post
- Fuel up with a hearty breakfast from The Smokeshack or The Breeze Inn
- Take a scenic cruise in Resurrection Bay! Major Marine Tours is offering a 20% discount for SMAF attendees on their 3.5 hour Wildlife Cruise
- Get up close and personal with local wildlife at the Alaska SeaLife Center
- Walk our Historic Downtown District to visit local shops and galleries
- The waterfront bike/walking path is a wonderful way to stretch your legs! Watch for wildlife and look for the glaciers peeking out of the mountains
October is a beautiful time of year to find yourself in Seward. Our Music and Arts Festival is such a lively celebration of the creativity that makes this community shine. We hope to see you there!