Join us June 21–23, 2019 for the inaugural Seward Seabird Festival! We’re celebrating the arrival of Alaska’s seabirds through education, science, and art all weekend long. Kenai Fjords is a world-class birding destination and we’re excited to welcome birders from all over the world to explore our backyard.
Family-friendly activities are planned throughout the weekend, including:
- On-shore and offshore birding competitions
- Birdwatching boat tours offered by Major Marine Tours and Alaska Seabird Charters
- Keynote by Scott Hatch, Institute for Seabird Research and Conservation
- Ranger-led bird walks hosted by Kenai Fjords National Park
- Puffin encounters at the Alaska Sealife Center
- Seabird sip & paint with local artist Marissa Amor – SOLD OUT
- Seabird salutations yoga offered by Salted Roots
- Bird trivia at Seward Brewing Company
- Educational activities for kids
- Art & food vendors
Not sure where to start? Swing by the Alaska Sealife Center. Regular admission (includes educational activities, seabird feedings, and seabird keeper chats. The Center will also direct 10% of profits during the festival to seabird research.
Here are some tips for birdwatching while you’re here, courtesy of Tamara Lang, a senior deckhand with Major Marine Tours.
Feature image: Joel Krahn Photography