In order to do our part to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the Seward Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center is closed to public access until further notice. We are working to provide information, resources, and programs to support Seward business during this difficult time. We will be communicating with our membership and updating this page on a regular basis regarding any information and services we are providing during this time.
- The City of Seward City has a new webpage for COVID-19 Updates:
- State of Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) and mandates from the Office of Gov. Mike Dunleavy
- March 27, 2020 – COVID-19 Health Mandate 12: Intrastate Travel
- March 27, 2020 – COVID-19 Health Mandate 11: Social Distancing
- March 25, 2020 – COVID-19 Health Mandate 10: International & Interstate Travel
- COVID-19 State Health Mandates 1-9
- KENAI PENINSULA BOROUGH situation reports:
- SeaView Community Services Letter to Citizens 3/25/2020
- SeaView Community Services Teleleservices Press Release 3/25/2020
- Seward Prevention Coalition Letter to Citizens 3/25/2020
- Seward Community Library & Museum Letter from the Director 3/20/2020
SEWARD AREA BUSINESS GOOGLE SHEET
We’ve created a public GOOGLE SHEET listing Seward Chamber members by industry (see tabs across the bottom). We encourage you to ADD your updated business hours, curbside/delivery options, specials, and any other relevant information you’d like the public to know. We would like ALL local businesses to take advantage of this form, whether you are a chamber member or not.
We will continue to share out this document, as well as use it to help with promotional efforts on behalf of our community.
To add a business, simply type information into the spreadsheet directory in the correct location, or add a row in the applicable category if needed. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As of March 21, Alaska businesses are now able to apply for Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loans.
- Longer-term, Canada has closed all ports to cruise travel through July 1. This closure would affect all Alaska sailings through the beginning days of July.
- Cruise Lines International Association Voluntary Suspension of U.S. Cruise Operations (March 13, industry statement)
- As of March 25, 2020, the USDA Implements Immediate Measures to Help Rural Residents, Businesses and Communities Affected by COVID-19
More Tools & Resources Below
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Providence Hospital Online Self-Assessment Tool
- CDC Guidelines
- Getting your household ready
- Alaska CDC
- Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
- Red Cross tips/supplies list
- World Health Organization (WHO)
SMALL BUSINESS RESOURCES
- U.S. Chamber Coronavirus Emergency Loans Small Business Guide and Checklist
- U.S. Chamber Corona Virus Toolkit
- Alaska Small Business Development Center CV-19 Toolkit
- Alaska SBDC Tips for Food Businesses Impacted by COVID-19 (PDF download)
- OSHA on preparing workplaces for COVID-19
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration
- The Foraker Group for Alaskan Nonprofits
- Alaska Business Magazine
- Destination Development Association
- UAA Business Enterprise Institute Update for small businesses
- Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Small Business Administration (SBA) – start your application NOW!
TOURISM INDUSTRY CV-19 RESOURCES
- ATIA Coronavirus Guidance
- Visit Anchorage Toolkit & Resources for Businesses
- ATIA Website Travel Advisory
- ATIA Business Resources
ADVOCACY & ACTIONS
Take the following additional actions to support your business and community.
- Alaska Chamber of Commerce Business Impact Survey
- National Restaurant Association letter to Congress
- KPEDD Economic Impact Survey
- ATIA Tourism Economic Impact Survey
LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD
State and federal elected leaders are scrambling to respond to this national health and economic crisis. Now is the best time to contact them so they can make better-informed decisions. Share what’s happening to your family, your business and be candid on what you need to recover.
- Rep. Don Young has set up a coronavirus resource page.
- Senator Murkowski’s staff is accumulating Alaska-specific impacts from the outbreak.
- Click to enter them at her online portal.
- Contact Sen. Dan Sullivan with your concerns.
- Same for your state representatives – here’s a list of legislators by district, and an excellent map of state senate districts.
DIGITAL MARKETING, SOCIAL MEDIA & ONLINE ADVERTISING
- Grow with Google Small Business Toolkit and Tips for working from home/remotely
HELPFUL NEWS ARTICLES & SITES
- Anchorage Daily News:
- Washington Post: Article w/ useful real-time simulation models
- John Hopkins University CSSE site with live data on worldwide cases
- Warning As Dangerous Coronavirus Malware Is Sent To Millions
Unemployment. Who qualifies and how to file for unemployment can be found at this link to the Alaska Dept. of Labor and Workforce Development. Guidance and benefits continue to evolve to keep pace with the crisis, so keep informed here.
GRANTS > NON-PROFITS
AARP Community Challenge Grant: “Grants to make communities livable for all ages.” Deadline extended to May 1. Grants can range from several hundred dollars for smaller, short-term activities to several thousand or tens of thousands of dollars for larger projects. Trail signage, park improvements – many kinds of infrastructure, activities or equipment are covered.
The North Face Explore Fund. The application deadline closes on April 8. North Face partners with the National Park Foundation to fund programs that encourage and enable people from all walks of life and abilities to get outside and explore.
SEEKING BUSINESS NEWS & WELLNESS IDEAS
Even the strictest C19 containment efforts still make exemptions for people to get outside. AOA has started a page of things to do, inside and outside, to help people maintain sound mind and body. If you have suggestions you’d like to add, please email them to AOA.
SPREAD THE MESSAGE, NOT THE VIRUS
Everyone’s top priority right now is the health of each other and our communities. Anchorage-based Element Agency has created a campaign with important, simple, shareable C19 messages. Click on Caring is Easy to access downloadable online assets you can share on your web and social media pages.
CORONAVIRUS UPDATE FROM PROVIDENCE HEALTH & SERVICES
Because many people are concerned about potential exposure to COVID-19, Providence wants to let you know how to access their services if you think you have been exposed and are experiencing fever and respiratory symptoms.
- Please call ahead before coming in person to one of our physician clinics, urgent care centers or emergency departments. You can find phone numbers for our providers and locations at providence.org.
- See a provider virtually using Express Care Virtual. With this service, you can visit with one of our providers via online video from the comfort of your home, seven days a week.
- Use our new online coronavirus assessment tool. We developed this “chat” tool to help you assess your risk and to connect you with a provider virtually if you are at a higher risk for the virus.
For more helpful tips visit PSJH Coronavirus site.
SBA LOAN ASSISTANCE
- SBA weekly conference calls:
Fridays 4:00 pm ET / 2:00 pm MT / 1:00 pm PT / 12:00 pm Alaska.
Click here to register
HELPING IN THE COMMUNITY – FROM SEWARD ROTARY
Our Club has been volunteering out with at least one hands-on community project per month. Most of the projects we had in mind for March and April have now been canceled. However, with the coronavirus concern, there is more of a need for help with senior services in the community. We reached out to some of the different groups in town that serve seniors to see if anyone needed volunteers. Though we are in the midst of a virus outbreak, we have some opportunities to show our true service selves by helping others.
After speaking with Seward Area Hospice, the Senior Citizens Center, Providence Seward Mountain Haven, and the He Will Provide Food Bank, we have found some great ways for us to help out our community in the upcoming weeks. If you hear of any other ways our Club can be of service please let us know!
Seward CARRS Safeway:
- New hours of operation: 6 am to 10 pm
- Now Hiring – immediate job openings available
- Special hours 7-9 am Tuesday/Thursday
Pharmacy at Safeway:
- Operating hours, Mon-Sat 9 am – 7 pm
- Special hours 7-9 am Tuesday/Thursday
- Prescription delivery is available; requests received by 1 pm will be delivered the same day; call 224-6960 to sign up
DHSS has enlisted Alaska 2-1-1 as a resource for handling the large volume of calls from the public with questions regarding Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). The 2-1-1 information referral specialists are equipped to take and triage these calls, and to refer callers to appropriate resources. Visit coronavirus.alaska.go.